This summer in Dallas is sweltering. Meaning we are all spending more time at home. These factors probably have contributed to your home cooling bills going through the roof. You are alone. So we here at Window Film Dallas made an exhaustive list to help you save as much money as possible during these trying times.
How to Reduce Energy Bills in Summer
- Keep an Eye on Your Thermostat: During the heat of the summer, it is important to watch your thermostat. Especially if you have central air. A 78-degree setting is actually the best setting when it comes to your Dallas home being energy efficient. This will save you 20% over a lower 72-degree setting!
- Use Fans in Every Room: When keeping your thermostat set to 78-degrees, you will likely still need a bit of help to keep the interior of your Dallas home the most comfortable. The way to do this is by using fans in as many rooms as possible. The temperature reduction from fans work the same as the wind-chill factor–it makes rooms feel cooler.
- Open the Windows: Of course, you don’t want to open your windows during the heat of the day when it is hot. You risk letting out all the air you paid to cool. However, after an evening storm or on one of our cooler Dallas nights–opening a window and using a fan will cost you less than running the A/C.
- Stop Using Incandescent Light Bulbs: Incandescent light bulbs may only emit a little heat, but, cutting every small corner is the key to saving the most money on cooling bills during the summer. LED bulbs let off almost no heat and contribute to less electricity overall.
- Lower the Use of Heat Generating Appliances: Dryers, ovens, dishwashers and microwaves, and many other home appliances all release heat into your Dallas interiors. In the hot summer, reducing the use of these appliances is an important part of keeping your Dallas home cooler. You can line dry clothes and cook food on a barbeque outdoors as much as possible to keep temperatures and cooling costs low.
- Maintain Your Cooling Equipment: A/C and central air units get a lot of use in sizzling summers such as these. If they are clogged or covered by dust and grime this causes them to work even harder. The result is breakdowns and poor performance. Therefore, cleaning your units frequently and making sure repairs are less frequent and can cut cooling costs by 10-15%.
- Have Window Film Installed: One of the best ways to keep cooling bills low in the summer and save money in the winter as well–is by having energy-efficient window film for your Dallas home. Window films and tints come with a lot of other benefits too! Read about those in our window film benefits blog here.
- Keep Curtains and Shades Closed: While window film is great for lower cooling bills and reducing heat in your home, use in coordination with curtains and shades will further reduce solar heat gain–especially on these 100+ degree days we are seeing in Dallas
While all of these ideas together are what will save you big time on your utilities in the heat of the Dallas summer and the cool of the Dallas winter. Window film is arguably the most effective of all of these solutions–and comes with other benefits. Contact us here at Greenlight Window Films in Dallas for more details and to get pricing.